15 // EVERY TIME I DIE // Radical

As a genre, metalcore has usually been a bit too rich for my blood over the years. Perhaps not surprising, then, that stalwarts of that (sub?) genre, Every Time I Die, have never really drawn me in before, despite being acclaimed in the heavy music press for over two decades now. It’s hard to pin down why, with album 9, they suddenly piqued my interest. Nonetheless, Radical managed to enter my rotation when it was released in October, and it hasn’t left. Fair to say they still make metalcore, so much of the record is potentially impenetrable: this placing on my list comes with a genuine health advisory. Equally, Radical’s screamo firewall hides a penchant for melody that has kept me coming back. This is… catchy. There are also some outstanding riffs, song-writing of real quality (‘The Thing with Feathers’ would be a huge hit for a less aurally confrontational rock band), and a talent for self-depreciating social commentary. The outstanding ‘White Void’ (NB: contender for my favourite track of the year) highlights well how Every Time I Die are here mixing earworm choruses with violent metalcore. Despite its unexpected nuances, though, this is still a fair bit heavier than I would normally venture. Brace.